Thursday, November 02, 2006

Babydolls for grown-ups


I don't know what caused me to think of it today, but as I was walking down Broadway this morning the recollection of one of the few positive experiences I had when I worked at Victoria's Secret brought a smile to my face.

Guys came in all the time to buy gifts for their wives/girlfriends/whatevers. Some were painfully shy, and I took a great deal of pity on them, usually directing them to the cotton pajama nightshirts. Others were way too enthusiastic (if you want to buy her that lace bodysuit in turquois for your 3 month anniversary be my guest) and some were just so sleazy I wanted to shower after talking to them ("I'll take 2 - one for my wife and one for my girlfriend!" Oh, how I envy the woman you're going home to...). However, there were a few rare jems that seemed likely genuinely nice men. Again, rare. Very rare.

One such gentleman came in one day and wanted help purchasing something for his pregnant wife. I suggested a pair of soft pink fleece pajamas - they were popular with the new moms because the button front shirt provided easy access for breast feeding. No, he said, she was feeling bad about her new body with the weight gain, and he wanted her to know that she would always be sexy and beautiful to him. I suggested a sexy, yet classy, black tie-front babydoll. It would accomodate her growing belly but still be wearable post-baby. Perfect.

Part of me wanted to be there when she opened the present to see the look on her face, to watch them hug and cry and spill "I love you's" all over each other like a DeBeers commercial. Part of me wanted to ask the guy for his number, but while I have many less than desirable character traits I don't fancy myself a homewrecker. Instead I just wrapped the gift, in awe of this incredible man. Sometimes I use this memory as immaginary ammunition against boyfriends (real and potential). But will he think I'm sexy when I'm pregnant. Maybe I should just be happy knowing that those type of men do indeed exist and hope that it just contributes to some overarching cosmic balance of appreciating women's bodies.

No comments: