Friday, September 11, 2009

feeling like fall

Despite my apprehension over back-to-school, I am loving signs of fall. I wish we could get a few weeks or even days of the low 70's/high 60's weather; that doesn't seem to be happening. But I'm ready for fall - I want to switch out my clothes, put away all the skirts and capri pants I never fit into this summer anyways, pack up the sandals, and break out the sweaters. I think fall is my best season. Skirts with thick tights and knee-high boots, warm sweaters with jeans, and a fleece blanket on my lap while I enjoy the fall line-up (I actually put the season premiere's of House, How I Met Your Mother, and Glee on my calendar).



You know what else fall means? Pumpkins. I love pumpkins. I love seeing them, decorating them, baking with them, and - most of all - eating them. I make a phenomenal pumpkin-pear crumble; I highly recommend giving it a try. So imagine my excitement yesterday when I went to the grocery store near my office to pick up a snack and saw Stonyfield had a limited edition pumpkin pie flavored yogurt. I like pie, and I like pie flavored yogurt - apple pie, key lime pie, lemon meringue pie - all good things. Now imagine my disappointment when, after swirling my spoon through the thick, creamy, pale pumpkin colored goop, I tasted it. I kind of smacked my lips for a few seconds trying to decide if I liked it, and then my face puckered like I'd bit into a lemon. NG - no good. They don't use aspartame or other artificial sweeteners in their products, so I don't know what that aftertaste was, but I did not like. Highly disappointing.



But to leave a sweet taste in my mind, if not my mouth, and a smile on my face, fortunately I have other pumpkins to please me.



No comments: