The farm shares keep coming in every other week, and a clear sign that fall has arrived is the contents of my CSA. Tomatoes are getting fewer and fewer and apples are staging a coup of the fruit portion. Here's what I got a few weeks ago:

- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 bag of mesclun (I keep saying "mescaline" accidentally, but my vegetables do not come from that type of tripped out hippie farm)
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1 bunch of braising greens
- 1 bunch of beets
- 1 bunch of turnips
- 1 handful of green beans
- 1 sprig of soy bean pods (aka edamame, they're in the bowl on the right but come on a woody stem)
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 5 big tomatoes
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 5 apples
- 5 pears
- 10 plums
- 1 bunch of sage
When I get fruit, I immediately think "how can I turn this into a baked good?" Heaven forbid I just eat the fruit. I had never baked with plums before, so I found a recipe for a plum clafouti (try saying that 10 times fast!).
You butter and sugar a pie plate and then place the halved plums cut side down, top them with an eggy mixtures, and an hour later you get this:
It was very yummy and would probably work well is other tart fruits like cherries.
I also made a glazed pear coffee cake which I brought into the office. Fall is definitely my favorite baking season (mamma needs some pumpkin bread!) so I have to take precautionary measures to not end up looking like a grisly ready for hibernation.

1 comment:
Amazing. Amy. Amyzing.
Post a Comment