I think I'm usually a pretty positive person, but sometimes it's hard to stay "up." The reality of the state of the academic job market has become all to clear lately, with commentator types saying things like, "Graduate education is the Detroit of higher learning." (Can we get a bailout?!?) NYU's up to its union busting shenanigans again, so the state of my funding for next year is highly uncertain. Then there's the fact that the last fellowship I applied for got canceled - yup, budget cuts turned 2 assistantships into 0, glad I spent the time and effort to complete that application - and one of the classes I'm scheduled to teach this summer (a.k.a. 1/2 my income for the next 3 months) is on the chopping block because there's not enough enrollment. If the swine flu doesn't get me, poverty just might.
Luckily, my sister's kids are SO frickin' cute, no matter how pissy I'm feeling, looking at these always melts my cold, bitchy heart:





2 comments:
Aaww, they just melted my cold, bitchy heart too!
it's like road salt for the frozen soul!
Post a Comment