There was clearly some sort of cosmic connection between little Zachary and his great-grandmother Helen. Helen held off until after Zachary was born to pass, and Zachary came to us a week early because it was Helen's time, and he knew we would need some extra love to help us through it. Just like Kayley waited until I got home (over a week late) to make her appearance, Grammy waited until I was home to leave us.
Many of you knew (or knew of) and loved Grammy. She passed away quietly Friday morning. The family is having a small private service tomorrow morning. It will include a ginger ale toast to Helen (it was her favorite beverage). She will be buried with her purse, which she carried with her literally til the day she died. She was like the Queen with that purse; it never left her side. Even at holidays she carried it with her at all times, no matter how much we tried to reassure her that none of us would steal it. It was a handy accessory, good for holding using tissues and storing extra dessert wrapped in a napkin (who needs Tupperware?!). To guide her body to rest, her purse will be stocked with the essentials - toothpicks, a plastic rain bonnet, a flash light, and love notes from best friend and husband of 65 years. A few tissues will be tucked up her sleeve, just in case.
For a brief look at some of Helen's best moments, look back with me at her and Bob, Grammy on the phone, her amazing marriage, her 95th birthday, old photos, and her the amazing humor she kept right up until the end.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Amy I'm so sorry to hear about Grammy. It sounds like she'll be laid to rest with a lot of love. I can only hope to have a final send-off like that!
I loved looking at the pictures of her you've posted through the years ... what a sweet send off!
Thinking of you,
Sarah
Oh amy, I am so sorry to hear that. Your Grammy was a firecracker! Send my love to Steph and your family.
Thank you all. I'm getting lots of warm fuzzies from my friends, and I can't tell you how much it helps.
Post a Comment