Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grampy!




I called my grandparents today to wish my grandfather a happy 90th birthday. Grammy answered the phone, and a mildly amusing conversation ensued (my grandparents are getting a little more forgetful in their old age, so I think phone conversations are quite amusing for them):



Grammy [hoarse voice]: Hello?
Me: Grampy?
Grammy [clears throat]: No, it's Grammy.
Me: Hi Grammy, it's Amy.
Grammy: Amy, hi! Where are you calling me from?
Me: From my home in California.
Grammy: Oh, wow, you're calling me all the way from
California
?
Me: Yes, the telephone is a magnificent invention.
Grammy: Oh, we just got back from doing some shopping. I can't always get what I want you know. I wanted to buy a face cloth but had to buy a dish towel. I'm going to launder everything though, Amy.
Me: I just wanted to call and wish Grampy a happy
birthday
.
Grammy: Oh, he'll be delighted. Let me get him. We just got back from shopping so I'm unpacking things and he's trying to catch up on the day's paper. [to my grandfather] Bob! It's Amy LeClair.
Grampy: Hello, Amy LeClair.

The conversation got a little less formal after that. Grampy isn't too happy about having a birthday but added that life was pretty good and he couldn't go throw himself off a bridge, could he (no, thankfully).

He's not the young whippersnapper he was in this picture (taken at Pearl Harbor in 1940 - thanks Mary):



But he's still a pretty good looking guy, and he's a great grampy (and great great-grandfather to Kayley!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of Grampy. Can I have a copy?

Anonymous said...

"The telephone is a magnificent invention". Love it.

AML said...

Mary - sure, I just cropped one from Steph's wedding
Beth - she's really surprised that it doesn't take time for the sound to travel across space

Anonymous said...

She's also really surprised every time I mention you live in CA now...."she does? when did she move to CA? does she live near you?"