Hi Mom and Dad,
I’m sorry for dropping big news on you last night with so little time before the holiday. I wasn’t as articulate as I would like to have been, but I really didn’t know how to tell you. I’d like to explain a little more.
M and I have been dating for a few months. I had considered asking her to Thanksgiving before but had decided I wasn’t ready to introduce someone to my family yet. Her plans fell through at the last minute, however, and I really didn’t want her to spend Thanksgiving alone (she’s from CA and that’s where all her family is), hence the last minute addition and announcement – I apologize for not giving you more time to process.
In terms of me dating a woman, the fact that she’s a woman isn’t really a big deal to me. It’s a big deal to me to be dating someone for several months (last time I was this far into a relationship I was 22). Dating a woman is something new to me, too, and there have been some adjustments, but I’m glad that I was open to the possibility of dating a woman, because M is a wonderful, kind, caring, funny, smart person, and I’m lucky to have her in my life.
I don’t consider myself a lesbian or gay, although if I did I hope that you would be okay with that, too. I hesitated to bring home someone I had only been dating a few months, but she is very important to me and a big part of my life right now. I don’t know that M is “the one.” I may not ever find “the one,” however, and so I hope that you can support me no matter whom I date. I want to and hope to get married and have kids, but that’s not something I can totally control. The most important thing to me in dating someone is not whether they are a man or a woman, but finding a person that shares the same values as me, respects me, and makes me want to be the best person I can be. M is all of those things.
I know this is going to be an adjustment for you both and want you to feel free to ask me questions. I also want to say that while I was nervous telling you, I also knew that no matter what you’d love me. I had no fear of anger or hatred, and considering the world we live in and the types of things I see every day, I am exceedingly thankful for that. I do not take for granted how lucky I am to have two loving parents (and a loving family and loving friends) who support me in every aspect of my life. I am able to be the person I am – in my personal and professional life – because of that love and support.
I love you both very much,
A
To keep the "feel good" vibe, take a moment to rock out to this:

3 comments:
Well I don't know what you had said the night before, but this was certainly articulate! :) And I'm glad you're happy!!
Damn, "I'm happy you're happy" sounds so much better. Can't believe I missed that one!
Love you.
Post a Comment