Monday, February 21, 2011

End of life care

Last summer we moved my grandfather out to CA to live with my Aunt Mary. He's generally in good physical health, but he has Alzheimer's and requires 24 hr care. Needless to say, he keeps Mary business. Every now and then, however, when she has a free minute, she'll send us an update.

The other day she told us about their trip out to dinner. Normally they eat at home, but Grampy was insisting on eating out. It was such a sweet and humorous e-mail, so I sent Mary a quick note back telling her I loved her and that I would take good care of her when she's old and senile.

This was her response:

I love you too.......and just to make it easier, I've started making notes for you:


Food likes and dislikes, I'm a very plain eater and don't mind having the same thing several times a week, but Do Not try to sneak vegetables in my food - I'll know if you do and will spit it out.


Always, always have chocolate on hand, preferably dark.


My feet get cold easily and I like to wear socks.


Please respect all the things I've acquired, although I probably won't give a hoot, don't throw anything that you don't want into a dumpster - someone, somewhere will want it or could use it.


I will want a pet (cat or small lap dog)


I will want a daily drink (you can decide the appropriate time depending on my mood). And if I'm being a real pain or totally stressing you out, feel free to give me more until I settle down.


If I'm still smoking and I probably will be, please don't decide that it's time for me to quit and take away my cigarettes -- I promise not to burn down the house.


I love to watch True Crime reporting on TV and this will keep me occupied for hours. None of that CSI fictional stuff, I'll know if I'm being duped.


As I think of them, I'll add to list.............

Can you tell we're related?

2 comments:

Lisa Lisa said...

I love this.

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad she posted this blog so they'll be witnesses to the fact that she's promised to take care of me! Aunt Mary