Sunday, July 20, 2008

the Cape

It's a New England tradition - take off work early on a Friday in the summer, hope on Rte. 3, and pray to the traffic gods that you make it to your destination before dark. I actually made very good time, despite some slow spots. Rte. 3 is being widened, a good thing, but I might suggest to the Mass Highway Dept that closing the south-bound side to one lane on a summer weekend might not be the best logistic call they've made.

My trip to the Cape was super exciting because I got to see Beth* (of Shenanigans fame) for the first time since college! To make things even better, I got to meet her parents - Sue and Ed. These are my type of people. Conversation was humorous and stimulating. Libations flowed (I was a very good house guest and helped clear out the fridge by drinking an entire bottle of Sauvignon Blanc by myself). The steak was delicious. Ed even bestowed upon me the honor of a nickname - LC. "LC, what are you drinking?" "LC, leaving so soon?" Sue and Ed are good people. Sadly, I missed the rest of the Stefanik gang, but when Sue & Ed go to visit their son Rob in Brooklyn we're all going to the Astoria beer garden, the Donut Plant on the LES, and to some place in Red Hook for won tons (Sue saw it on the Food Network).

All in all, I had a wicked good time. There were so many precious moments in such a short amount of time, but I think my favorite quote came from Beth: "Mary Magdalene? Total beard."

Pictures to come.

*Beth M. is not to be confused with Beth E., pictured in the last post. I went to Providence with both of Beth's. Beth E. became a friend sophomore year, and we lived together senior year. She's very Irish-American, and junior year when I was in Switzerland she was in Galway, Ireland, where I visited her. Beth M. and I were fellow rebel-rousers in honors classes and women's studies seminars (although, as we discussed at length this weekend, the bar was set pretty low to be considered a "liberal", or even worse, gasp!, a "feminist" a PC; basically you just had to believe that women should not only be allowed to vote but also attend the college). Beth M. now lives in Dublin, Ireland, with her husband.

No comments: