Monday, July 14, 2008

Providence

Saturday the weather was beautiful, perfect for a trip down to Providence, RI, to meet up with 2 college roommates, Mia and Beth:



We had so much fun! We stayed at the Marriot Renaissance, where the room was comfy, the staff was friendly, and the concierge was smokin' hot! There was a half-ironman competition going on the same weekend, which explained why a) rooms were so expensive and b) there were so few available. Not being supreme athletes ourselves (although both Mia & Beth are training for 1/2 marathons), we did our own multi-sport adventure (lunch-dinner-brunch) and essentially ate our way through the city.

Because I watch too much CSI and Law & Order, I sometimes think about what would happen if I ended up dead somewhere, necessitating an autopsy. If the medical examiner had examined my stomach contents Sunday night, here's what s/he would have found:

From lunch @ Cafe Paragon:

  • hamburger with tomato and boursin cheese on an onion roll
  • paragon fries
  • Mediterranean pizza with feta
  • sangria

From drinks @ Dave & Buster's, Napa Valley Grille, and Ri Ra's

  • 1 strawberry daiquiri
  • 1 pineapple-melon martini
  • several Sam Adams Light's

From dinner @ Citron

  • spinach salad with prosciutto and pine nuts
  • stuffed chicken breast with gnocchi
  • braised duck in hoisin sauce with cabbage and scallion pancakes
  • Gorgonzola tater tots
  • chocolate lava cake with espresso ice cream
  • 3/4 bottle white wine

from late night after Ri Ra's

  • Cheez-Its snack crackers
  • Flipz
  • Wheat Thins

from brunch @ Caffe Dolce Vita

  • the best calamari anyone has ever taste anywhere
  • lemon poppy seed pancakes with raspberry butter
  • pomegranate mimosa


and, finally, from Pastiche
  • iced mocha latte

I cannot believe I went to Pastiche and did not purchase a pastry, but I just couldn't.

Frankly, it's amazing I didn't eat myself to death during that gastronomical orgy. Honestly, every calorie was worth it. Now I just need to stick to a steady diet of carrots this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calamari's fish - I thought you didn't like fish?

AML said...

that's the ONLY exception, and it has to be done right