
I lived in NYC for over a year before I went to my first Broadway show and didn't see a dance performance until just before I moved in Spring 2007. I've only been to one museum, once, when someone wasn't visiting from out of town. The risk of living in a major urban hub or art & culture is that you take it for granted and forget to take it in. In an effort to remedy that, I thought I'd start a culture club. Not in the "Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon, You come and go,You come and goooooooOOOOOOOOO" way, but in the group-of-people-who-attend-cultural-events sort of what. The idea sort of flopped - too much commitment involved - so instead I'm just making an effort to pick something cultural to attend at least once a month and then invite my peeps as I see fit.
Tuesday I filled the September slot by attending Fall for Dance with Jane and her friend Emily. The concept behind the series is really cool; it's like a restaurant pre-fixe of dance. All seats are just $10, and each performance is slightly different, offering a smattering of different companies and, consequently, styles of dance. Our seats were terrible - literally in the last row, we couldn't have gone back further without entering the heating ducts - but the dances and dancers were amazing. My favorite was a piece that the program told me was about "a woman's loneliness in a bad relationship;" I could relate to that. It was just one dancer and a table on stage. (I was secretly hoping Neil and Sabra would come out and do their table dance, but that didn't happen.) I'm no dance critic, but what I gathered from the piece was that one coping strategy the woman employed to deal with her isolation was to masturbate with the table. I'm not sure if that's what the choreographer had intended, but it certainly made an impression and is making me look at ordinary furniture in a whole new way.
See how culture can expand the mind!
Tuesday I filled the September slot by attending Fall for Dance with Jane and her friend Emily. The concept behind the series is really cool; it's like a restaurant pre-fixe of dance. All seats are just $10, and each performance is slightly different, offering a smattering of different companies and, consequently, styles of dance. Our seats were terrible - literally in the last row, we couldn't have gone back further without entering the heating ducts - but the dances and dancers were amazing. My favorite was a piece that the program told me was about "a woman's loneliness in a bad relationship;" I could relate to that. It was just one dancer and a table on stage. (I was secretly hoping Neil and Sabra would come out and do their table dance, but that didn't happen.) I'm no dance critic, but what I gathered from the piece was that one coping strategy the woman employed to deal with her isolation was to masturbate with the table. I'm not sure if that's what the choreographer had intended, but it certainly made an impression and is making me look at ordinary furniture in a whole new way.
See how culture can expand the mind!

No comments:
Post a Comment