
As predicted, I created a blog with zeal one night, and then proceeded to neglect it much in the manner I neglect other parts of my life. Since I'm having a particularly useless day (all this can at least partially be attributed to the current weather in New YorkCity) I figured I'd give it another stab.
Tuesday night I attended a gala for the non-profit my friend Julia works for, Sanctuary for Families. It was a lovely affair at Chelsea Piers, and a good chance to get gussied up. There was an open bar sponsored by Grey Goose, delectable mini-desserts, and a DJ that knew how to strike the right balance of old-school Michael Jackson and new-school Madge. I met Julia's friend Thalia's friends from Vassar, and we became instant BFF.
I shared a cab with one of my new found friends. Because the rich bitches at the gala had taken all the goody bags, we helped ourselves to the centerpieces (to be fair, I got out of bed at 7:30 a.m. to help assemble them) and Krispy Kremes that were being handed out at the door. I was afraid the vases were going to suffer the same fate of the Guiness pint glasses I stole from the Abbey senior year. I had clenched the glasses in my fleece all the way home, only to watch them shatter on the floor of the lobby when I hit the button for the elevator.
These vases were pretty big and a little heavy since they were filled with beans, water and orchids. While waiting for a cab I tried to sell the orchids (sans vase) to a guy for $5. I told him this was really an excellent deal, since the orchids were African, from Cote d'Ivoire to be exact (they have a non-translation clause in their constitution that I try to respect), who had qualified for the World Cup for the first time in 20 years. This, I explained to him, was doing wonders for their economy. The transaction didn't take place as we were finally able to get a cab. I paid in cash, rather than bartering with the Krispy Kremes, and was trying to push open the front door of my building when the forces of nature - namely, 4 vodka tonics, the 2 vases and box of doughnuts, and my 3 1/2" heel - conspired to bring me to the floor. I skinned my knee, but the vases survived and looked lovely on kitchen table the next morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment