
Random thoughts from the weekend:
The World Cup makes for an easy social life for about a month. If you're a dirty student like me you can bugger off to the pub about any time of the day and feel like you're taking part in some greater cultural good. And if, also like me, your boyfriend is Brittish you can feel a little bit less like a jerk for saying things like, "let's meet at the pub at half eleven" and "___ [insert disliked footballer] really is a cunt." I'm such a shameless Anglo-phile.
Paul was in town this weekend so much of it was spent watching football. Now I don't really give a rat's ass about the American team, but I did want them to win Saturday. For starters, they were the underdog, and if they had won everyone in the group would have had 3 points making for some very interesting matches later in the week. While I wouldn't go as far as some of the headlines, but 1-1 wasn't a bad finish for playing 9 men on Italy's 10, especially when that 2nd red card was bullshit.
Above all, I'm thankful that I'm watching the World Cup in New York City. At any given bar you're almost guaranteed at least one ex-pat. It would probably be a lot more boring in Kansas.

No comments:
Post a Comment