I have 2 ripe avocados at home, and I've been trying to think of what to do with them (besides guacamole - what, do you think I'm a culinary moron?). Totally not thinking about my soon-to-expire avocados, I was reading the NYT and clicked on the health section, where I saw this:

This is the way to cut and pit an avocado. I saw it on a cooking show years ago, and have tried it several times. It's not as easy as it looks. Last summer I was trying to do this. Because there's part of my brain that's not clinically retarded, I put the avocado on the counter. You don't want to slam a knife into something that you're holding! But I wasn't succeeding, and so I picked the avocado up. This is clearly where the other part of my brain that is defective took over. It was a bad move. I tried to stab the pit with the tip of the knife. Failing to do this, the knife slipped off the side of the pit, passed through the soft, ripe fruit, and sliced 2 of my fingers. It was categorically not good.
So let this be a warning. I'm thinking I should write the NYT and tell them they should edit that picture, or at least give a warning! (C'mon, coffee cups have to warn that the beverages they contain may be hot.) I'm also thinking I might puree the avocado and substitute it for oil when I make chocolate zucchini bread tonight. And I'm thinking I'll use a butter knife to cut the avocado.

No comments:
Post a Comment