Within 30 minutes, I witnessed the following events:
- A woman crying and praying in the locker room at the gym*
- A line at the ATM like a Black Friday run on the bank
- A car backing up in Union Square because it was going the wrong way down a 1 way street**
- An S train running on the B, D line.***
Is there an impending apocalypse I haven't heard about?
Notes:
* I walked by this woman when I was coming out of the shower, so I knew she had seen me. I was in the next row of lockers getting changed when I thought I heard her crying. Then she was mumbling, "I really need you now, I really need you now." I wasn't sure if she was praying until I heard her say, "I praise your name, Lord Jesus, I praise you." Being the godless bitch that I am, I immediately started mentally blogging about this incident. The only time anything religious comes up for me at the gym is when I think, "God, I am out of shape," or "Sweet Jesus, I can barely get my fat ass up these stairs." When I went to leave she was half-way into her gym clothes, but she was still crying, and I just felt like I would be a giant asshole if I left without saying something (we were the only 2 in the locker room). I just poked my head around the corner and asked if she was ok. She nodded her head. I asked if she was just having a bad day and if she wanted to talk or just be left alone. She said she was fine but appreciated me asking. I told her I hoped her workout was cathartic. I totally understand having such a bad day that you're crying in public, which only makes it worse. And while I'm not big on prayer, more power to her for going to the gym - my sad ass would have been home, in bed, with some ice cream.
** You don't back up in Union Sq.
*** It took me a minute to even figure out where an "S" train normally runs. It's the shuttle between Grand Central Station and Times Square. How it would even get onto a B,D line is beyond me. To give a Boston reference, this would be like seeing an orange line car on the C/green line.

No comments:
Post a Comment