Friday, October 10, 2008

so right

So I have started - tentatively - venturing into the world of online dating. Of course some of the first e-mails I got are from absolute creeps. That doesn't bother me too much, because I run into creeps everywhere - at the bars, getting on the subway, running (I know my shirt says Obama - stop staring at my chest and reading it to me, weird old man!). It's just a statistical reality - per every 100,000 people there are going to be X number of creeps.

Anywho, I showed a friend one creep's e-mail. There was a very inappropriate comment, but it did make reference to something in my profile. There is one slightly suggestive remark, and I thought I should remove it, lest it be seen as an open invitation to other creeps.

But my friend made a good point. She said,

Leave it. The rest of your profile is totally normal and not at all suggestive. It's not like under favorite clothing you wrote "nothing." He was going to be a creep no matter what you wrote. You don't stop wearing skirts because somebody whistles at you.


So right. Thanks, Jane.

No comments: