I blog about Facebook, I blog about boobies, and then what do I see on
CNN this morning? A story about boobies on Facebook. I SO have my finger on the pulse of society.
More specifically, the piece was about a breast-feeding group on Facebook that is upset about their pictures being censored. A photo of a bare breast violates the site's terms of use. The women argue breast-feeding is natural and beautiful, and they should be able to show it. Positioning, for example, might be helpful to a woman who has access to the internet but not groups of other mothers.
Having no children and, hence, never having breastfed perhaps I don't have the most informed opinion, but I'm going to have to go with Facebook on this one. They issued a statement saying they're all for breast-feeding, they agree it's both natural and beautiful, they just don't allow naked breasts on their site. I agree that women should connect over these issues. I also believe women have the right to breast feed in public, and applaud companies and businesses that make this more feasible (I've always noticed that Nordstroms has a nice "nursing area" in the ladies' room). But there is a difference between nursing your child with a blanket draped over your shoulder and whipping your mammaries out in public. Why are we so all or nothing in this society? It's all about finding a happy medium, even with nursing.
And as for the pictures on Facebook, I get nervous about putting snapshots of my niece online. I certainly don't think photos of her latching on my sister's bajongas need to be in cyber space.
(Note: K's weened - she's 1 1/2 - just an example.)
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment