In case it hasn't been totally obvious, I've been rockin' the suburbs, touring Assisted Living facilities, and staying part-time in the "care giver's suite" (a.k.a. my dad and uncle's childhood bedroom) at my grandparents' house. We're in what my dad has termed "fire drill mode" trying to get them set up safely.
The last two weeks I've given myself a crash course in elder services. (Not for nothing, but I feel like this merits an honorary master's in geriatric care, no? Anyone want to find me a university to confer this title upon me?)
As evidence of my efforts, and showing that I can use my neuroses for good instead of evil, I present to you the File of Infinite Knowledge and Wisdom (organizing makes me happy):

The front has sections with general info on nursing homes, assisted living, insurance, veteran's benefits and Alzheimer's. The back has the brochures on the individual facilities we've seen. I think I may have missed my calling as a geriatric case manager. Apparently, they do what I've been doing, but they get paid for it, and they make bank. I'm only charging my grandparents a 5% broker's fee when they move. It's never too late for a career change...

No comments:
Post a Comment