I am having a wonderful trip. Starting the conference several hours after landing at Heathrow was a bit taxing, but I managed to push through and impressed both the Americans and the foreigners with my "social stamina." I wouldn't advise drinking until 2:30 am when you haven't slept and have to comment on a paper at 9:30 the next morning, especially since setting an alarm might not seem like as high a priority as rekindling the fire in the hotel pub in the wee hrs of the night and you can't always rely on your friends to knock on your door at 9:20 am, but, in a pinch, it can be done. Since the conference ended Saturday I've been chillin' in Lenny's posh London flat and loving it.
Here are some highlights of the trip so far:
- Des, the mini-coach driver; the hotel/conference center; killer Shepherd's pie; good academic dialogue and a renewed sense of vigor for my own research; making new friends, even ones that live in NYC; discovering "strawberry pencils"; the weather; British wit; finding our about Newt Gingrich's affair; boxed sandwiches; Cadbury chocolate vending machines in the tube stations
And here are a few things I could have done without:
- jet lag; liver damage; the conference sandwiches (O'Whooleheagh reckons they float); the exchange rate (when you change dollars at the airport they punch you in the face for free); certain papers; getting lost in TopShop (although I cannot describe the sense of relief I felt when they finally paged me over the intercom, even if they did have to say I was a lost child); The Last King of Scotland (the acting was truly amazing, but if you're ever contemplating suicide and need that little extra nudge, this will do the trick); prawn, mayo and sweetcorn sandwiches
Right then, yesterday's jaunt around Covent Garden and today's trip to the Victoria & Albert museum have really done me in so I think it's time for a quick kip. Cheers!

No comments:
Post a Comment