Friday, April 27, 2007

Bodies in Motion


I just finished my 2nd comp exam (yay!), it's a rainy day, I have nothing specific to do, and so I can blog again (double-yay!)

Last night SBK had one of those evenings that makes you happy to be a grown up. We got dressed up (note: the application of Spanx power panties requires two hands at all times) and went to a beautiful neighborhood French restaurant called Chez Jacqueline. I will dine at Jacquie's crib any time - it was delicious. The wine, the soup, the salad, and most importantly, the strawberry tart. 2 words - pastry chef. The shell was perfectly flaky and firm without being hard, the custard was rich and flavorful without being heavy, and the strawberries were freshly sliced and sweetly arranged without any sugar or weird gelée.

I made my first trip to the Joyce Theatre, where we ran into 3 social scientists - weird, for a production by the Stephen Petronio Company. AMAZING. This is the type of art I like. I always feel a bit stupid when it comes to the arts because I'm not really an art museum person. Of course, it's different strokes (or steps) for different folks - I've found the type of art I like to consume. The music was by Rufus Wainwright and the Beastie Boys; the costumes were by Imitation of Christ's Tara Subkoff. And the dancers weren't some prima ballerinas, they were these gorgeous, toned, muscular beings that moved in the most powerful ways.

Watching the performance I started to think about masculinity (ever the sociologist) and how ironic it is that we label dancing as feminine and therefore male dancers as effeminate. Far from being emasculating, all I could think watching these guys was, If he can do that with his own body, I wonder what could he do with mine?

No comments: