Saturday, April 28, 2007

Comped!


As previously mentioned, I finished my 2nd comp yesterday (!!!). For my non-sociologist readers, I thought I'd explain a little about comps, grad dept requirements, and sociology more generally. (Laying it all out is also a helpful reference for me when I get confused about what, exactly, it is that I'm doing with my life. This happens with potentially worrisome regularity.)

My program (which seems fairly typical of doctoral programs in sociology, although I can't speak to all social science programs or other disciplines more generally) offers 5 years of guaranteed funding - 3 yrs teaching assistantships and 2 fellowships. Teaching assistantships mean you T.A., and I am chuffed to report that I've just finished grading all my little kiddies final lab reports and have sent off my grades, which makes me officially done with those 3 years of obligations (!!). Fellowships are basically free money - I'm on fellowship next year which is why I'm able to relocate to SoCal. After next year I have to either a) secure outside funding (via a grant or sugar daddy) or b) come back to NY and TA. (Note to self: start looking for funding opportunities immediately). There are a number of requirements to fulfill pre-dissertation stage:
  • 3 yrs coursework - check (18 classes - 72 credits, 2 incompletes, but that's not bad - RKG still had 1 incomplete when she got her full-time, tenure track job offers, and I am banging out one of those before I leave NYC)

  • an "early research" paper - got one in the works; research is done, paper needs revisions before I (hopefully) submit it to a journal

  • 2 comprehensive exams - check!!

The idea behind the comprehensive exam ("comp") is that you demonstrate proficiency in a sub field. What constitutes proficiency is unclear - feeling competent to teach an undergraduate course on the topic is a fairly good measure. You create a reading list with a faculty supervisor which you can tailor to your specific interests (sub fields have further sub fields), read the stuff, maybe write some memos and then answer 3 questions in 3 hrs. Technically you then "debrief" with your readers (the faculty supervisor and one other faculty member). I don't think anyone has ever failed a comp - basically your faculty supervisor shouldn't let you take it if you're not prepared - so hopefully I will hear if I've "passed" in the near future. Theoretically I am now proficient in Sex & Gender and Culture & Media. I'm teaching Sex & Gender in a few weeks so we'll see how well my comp prepared me.

So this is what I've been up to for the last 4 yrs. Now all I have to do is my dissertation!! Once I've defended my dissertation proposal (Fall '07 hopefully) I will be ABD (All But Dissertation), officially be a "doctoral candidate" (right now I'm just a regular 'ol 'doctoral student', and be able to start my research for the thing for which it is that I'm here. I don't think people understand how much work there is that comes before the dissertation (especially Paul - and other Brits - who just go to grad school and start their dissertation off the bat, which is why they can finish in 3 yrs). Other random stats: 70% of people go ABD - they get to that point and never finish. Also, I think the average soc PhD takes 7 yrs. That leaves me 3 years to achieve averageness.

Finally, "sociology", according to the OED, is "The science or study of the origin, history, and constitution of human society; social science. Also, the study of social organization and institutions and of collective behaviour and interaction, including the individual's relationship to the group." It's the inverse of psychology. I will not be a social worker. I will not analyze people. I will not go into clinical work or private practice (unless I ditch this career for my back-up plan of becoming a professional organizer). My colleagues and I have often mused about writing a book called "What My Grandparents Think I Do." I've always joked that mine think I'm a little slow for still being in school at age 26. The best one so far comes from SBK; her grandparents, who met at a Communist Party meeting back in the day, think she goes to Socialism school. To be fair, this is probably the closest approximation to what we do.

So I've comped! Janiac threw me a little surprise party last night and I celebrated with friends, grilled cheese and gazpacho shooters in Brooklyn. (She also bought those lovely tulips.) And now, as RKG reminded me, I have to work on my dis, cause there's nothing else left! Except, of course, everything that's not sociology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! And send me the reading list for Sex & Gender, I know a Feminist who might enjoy it if you added a few little extras... ;)