Sunday, January 20, 2008

Signs

I'm always looking for signs to help guide me in life, probably because I'm so indecisive and generally don't trust my own decision making capabilities. Signs come in all different forms. Today, for example, I was looking for bedding online when I stumbled across this bag, which clearly wanted to belong to me.
It's also called a "Kaylie", which is my niece's name, so I'm taking it as a sign (even if it's spelled wrong).

I'm always looking for signs about my career - what I should be doing and where I should be going. Last weekend I saw my advisor at my friends' wedding. Just before the ceremony started Prof. X turned around to me and said, "I'm thinking about retiring from academia and becoming a tanguera. Not right away, but probably in the next 2 years." I think that's about as clear as a sign as I'm going to get. I have no idea what it means (hurry up and finish?), but it's definitely a sign.

And because signs always come in 3's, I'm taking the dropping temperature is a sign I need to make like LL Cool J and head back to Cali.

No comments: