After a lovely trip to Santa Barbara with Aunt Mary (which included a 6 1/2 hr death march around the downtown shops - I imagine it's what it would have been like for the Jews if the camps had been liberated by Cojo), I switched suitcases, repacked and headed to NYC.
The flight was more eventful than usual. Shortly after reaching our cruising altitude but before the initial beverage service a woman two rows behind me began having a seizure. She perked up after some oxygen, only to have her eyes roll back into her head a minute later. Clearly this was beyond the medical purview of the flight staff. There were two doctors on board - one didn't speak much English, and the other was the husband of the lovely woman sitting next to me. He had retired because of his inoperable brain tumor, and the couple were on their way to New York for a cruise around the world as he had only been given another 6 months or so to live. The whole situation was further complicated by the fact that the ill woman and her husband were Turkish, and it took a few minutes to find an adequate translator (fortunately the plane was connecting on to Budapest which greatly increased the likelihood). And did I mention that I split the back of my pants trying to help a girl find the camera she had dropped in the melee? A full rip seam-to-seam on the back of my thigh under my butt made me thankful I had opted for full coverage undies that morning.
After a quick emergency stop in Albuquerque, NM, we encountered some mild turbulence. Ironically, the woman next to me was watching CNN, and a headline flashed that 9 people had been injured by turbulence on an Air Canada flight. Shortly after, though, the head flight attendant came over to introduce herself. She's good friends Peter, one of the people I'm back in NYC visiting. She, along with the rest of the crew, were amazing throughout the entire medical episode, and I complimented her on how she handled the situation. She gave me a small travel kit, some Godiva chocolates, and offered me a drink.
Which brings me to the best part of the trip! Why fly Delta? They now serve Coke Zero.
Friday, January 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh yeah, whenever I want truly entertaining reading, I log onto your blog!!
Post a Comment