1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Both. I love wrapping presents. I have a wrapping paper organizer.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real. Although I preferred the artificial when I was younger because it was more symmetrical, and the one year we got a real tree I may have told my family they'd ruined Christmas. (neurotic? dramatic? moi?)
3. When do you put up the tree? Shortly after Thanksgiving
4. When do you take the tree down? Shortly after Christmas. Although this year we need to be more on top of that b/c last year there was a serious dried-out needle issue. Anne rejected my idea we just push the tree out the window, but in retrospect it may have caused less of a mess.
5. Do you like egg nog? In Starbucks latte form.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Oh boy. They year Steph and I both got bean bag chairs was pretty sweet. The Barbie pent house with functioning elevator was a favorite. One year my grandparents gave me a musical snow globe that had a train that went around and through a mountain pass; I think it played "Let it Snow." My sister probably has a better memory of what made my eyes light up than I do.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My dad. We barely got him out of his thread bare Larry Bird ringer tee shirt a few years ago. I imagine he gets it from his own father - when we moved him out of his house we found a dresser full of brand new, unopened socks, underwear, shirt, etc. from the last decade or so of holidays.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My sister, I think. She gives very specific lists, and I also think I have a pretty good idea of the type of stuff she likes.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, and I got in big trouble one year when I dropped one of the wise men down the cellar stairs. I used to love arranging the figurines.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. I like to have them out as soon after December 1st as possible.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Nothing's really sticking out. My parents bought me a tennis racket one year, and then proceeded to instruct me to "fake" enthusiasm if someone got me something I didn't like. ("Santa's" gifts were opened in the morning before family came over.) I told them I'd already done that with the tennis racket. Apparently my poker face hadn't been very convincing. I may have also said something to the effect of, "What's this for?"
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Ooh, so many good ones. Old school: A Christmas Story. Recent: Love Actually, Bad Santa.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Dec 26. I always buy my Christmas cards for the following year when they're on clearance.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I totally support re-gifting. Just keep track of who gave it to you originally.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I just love that it's an excuse to eat whatever you want. I'm a big fan of spiked hot cocoa and baked good.
16. Lights on the tree? Small and white.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Eric Kartman's version of O Holy Night.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Heading up to Boston.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s? Probably.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We had a kind of wonky angel when we were younger. I found a lovely star at the Christmas Tree Shops this year for $1.99 (proof that I am my mother's daughter).
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Steph and I used to open each other's gifts on Christmas Eve. Stockings and Santa's presents were opened in the morning before the extended family came over.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Parking at the mall. Shopping in SoHo. Crowds in general. People that try and knock you over on the subway even when they see you're carrying 6 shopping bags. People being so rude to retail staff - not very Christmas spirit-y.
23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? I love the look of big wreaths with red bows and white lights on colonial style houses. I have a smurf ornament that caused a "debate" every year between my sister and me. I don't know what ever happened to it...
24. Favorite for Christmas Dinner? Stuffing only comes about twice a year. I'm also incredibly thankful that I can drink at holiday dinners now - that was a real turning point, and Christmas for the last 8 years had been much better.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Hugs and kisses from Kayley and Zachary.
Update: Evidence of my excitement for the Barbie penthouse


No comments:
Post a Comment