Friday, December 04, 2009

Happy ABD, Me!

As my Facebook friends may know, a few weeks ago (November 12th, to be exact), I became ABD. This means that I defended my dissertation proposal, which is the last major bureaucratic hurdle before actually getting my PhD. ABD stands for All But Dissertation; I've completed all the other requirements of the program.* (Okay, technically I have one little incomplete to take care of, but whatevs.)



Now I just have to actually do the research and write the dissertation, y'know, the things I actually came to grad school to accomplish. For the moment, though, I just want to focus on the hurdles behind me, not the ones that lie ahead.

I promised myself that I could get a new bag. This would be an investment piece, not another bag from DSW or Marshall's that would last 6 months, maybe a year. (The one I have now was $22, but it's also pleather and peeling. I knew generally what I wanted - brown/tan, leather, some detailing, not too much hardware, outside pocket, max $300 - but couldn't find anything. Yesterday I went outlet shopping; I was really disappointed in Kenneth Cole, Off Saks, and Neiman Marcus Last Call in the accessories department (along with Esprit, Gap, and Banana in the clothing department). Michael Kors was my last stop. I knew when I walked in that I wasn't walking out empty handed. I decided on the 'Austin' shoulder bag (the style on the right, but the color on the left - I did love the magenta, but practicality won out).



Originally $300, this butter-soft bag became mine for $179. Happy ABD, Me!



* For a review of what the hell I've been up to for the past 6+ years, read this. Ignore the part where I estimate my proposal defense will happen in Fall 07.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy ABD you!