Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 wrap-up

I've been working on my Christmas Redux post but am having problems uploading photos from my phone, so I've stolen a post from Beth at Shenanigans - again.


1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Did a "stair climb", defended my dissertation proposal, completed a triathlon, took a running course, got a "real" job, cooked with kale, baked a strawberry, a chocolate angel food, and a flourless chocolate cake from scratch.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't really do New Year's resolutions - I think you should try to improve yourself all the time, not just once a year. Last year Miller made a "no shots" (alcoholic) resolution, and I've tried to adopt this rule - it's amazing. It has changed my life, especially my Saturday/Sunday mornings. Lisa and I had said, "higher standards in '09." I didn't stick to that as well as I should have, so I'm striving for higher standards in 2010. Overall my goal for the next year is to be better to my body, mentally and physically.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Stephanie had Zachary in April, shortly after Ellen had Andrew, and Mia brought us baby Marissa in September.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost Grammy just two days after Zach was born. It was, and still is, so sad, but more than anything I feel so fortunate that I had her in my life for so long.

5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico, England and Spain.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More financial security.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Obama's inauguration, Zach's birth, Grammy's passing, the triathlon - not the dates, but the moments.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Helping my family transfer Grammy and Grampy out of their house; completing the triathlon; changing the mind of a young man who started the semester telling me he was "terrified of the powerful women", including me, in the class, and then announcing on the last day that he was "an angry feminist" and was going to "use his male privilege" to smash the glass ceiling.

9. What was your biggest failure?
No failures, just learning moments.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Some stomach issues post-Barcelona, physical therapy for my hip, occupational therapy for ulnar neuropathy. Nothing serious, just annoying. I feel very fortunate!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My bag.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Beth - she's braved serious health issues and kept a positive attitude and pushed forward with her self-made career.

Steph - 2 amazing children, full time (new) job, great husband, clean house, ran a 5K and is training for her first 1/2 marathon.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Politicians, per usual.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, probably, and paying down debt.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I made my first trip back to CA since I left in May 2008.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Lady Gaga - Poker Face.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
(a) Happier - we were in crisis mode with the grandparents at this time last year, and it was really, really stressful. (b) Fatter - cannot seem to get a handle on that. (c) Unclear - accruing interest on my student loans but paying down my bad debt. I hate thinking about money.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. Exercising. Reading (non-academic).

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching TV. Thinking negative thoughts.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With all of my family watching K tear through wrapping paper with gleeful abandon.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
See #3.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
GLEE had to be my favorite newcomer.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I try not to hate.

24. What was the best book you read?
I think I'd go with The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Kate Nash - I was kind of late to the game on that one. La Roux.

26. What did you want and get?
A nephew!

27. What did you want and not get?
Clearly nothing so important that it's burning in my mind.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably Up.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my 29th birthday I did the Danskin Triathlon with Jessica and Lisa, and looking back at my older posts I cannot believe I didn't blog about it! Here's the photographic proof of our awesomeness:




30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A wife/maid.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Geek-chic. I was teaching 4 days a week; I try to look professional and age-appropriate.

32. What kept you sane?
Friends, an amazing therapist and medication. I will be completely honest - my quality of life has significantly improved. Better living through chemistry!

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Meh, no real standouts, although I always love Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and he popped up on the walls in my subway station a few times in Tudors' posters.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care. Seriously, people, how can you argue against health care reform? Screw the Republicans for being such greedy, lying bastards, and screw the Dem's for letting the public option die.

35. Who did you miss?
Grammy. Kayley and Zachary - I can never see them enough. All my friends that are scattered around the world.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm, probably Hannah. She's pretty fantastic, and this fall would not have been the same without her.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I can change the world, one comma splice at a time.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

"New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there’s nothing you can’t do, now you’re in New York, these streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you"

Wishing you all a happy, healthy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're so sweet!