Saturday, May 19, 2007

Happy Thoughts

I haven't had the best of weeks (nothing tragic, just a serious of small things accumulating into a self-esteem slump), but rather than being a negative Nancy I thought I'd try this power of positive thinking crap and focus on some of the things that are making me happy:
  • My students. They laughed at my "you can't get a vagina at Kmart or an organic one at Trader Joe's joke." They make teaching not suck.
  • Sephora: I invested in i.d. bare minerals foundation and couldn't be happier with it - the perfect amount of coverage, totally evens out my complexion, and I'm not treading anywhere near Tammy Fay Baker land (make-up wise). I haven't watched the free DVD yet, but it's going to rain all weekend so I'm sure I'll find time. Also, I was skeptical about Urban Decay's primer potion, but it really works. I'm going to make this a permanent product; it's a simple step that really sets my eye color - just dab on a little before applying eye shadow and no more lid crease lines. And I have a feeling this $15 bottle is going to last ages.
  • Target: It's on the must-do list whenever I go home, and all my fears about moving to San Diego are assuaged by the knowledge that I'll have a car and can go to Target whenever I want. On my last trip I bought 4 boxes of cereal for what 1 would have cost me at the corner deli. My sister's friend Lori had on a great dress at the baby shower, and I meant to ask her where she got it but forgot. Well, I was in Target later that day, and what did I find? The dress - $25, got loads of compliments, and it is the perfect fat day attire because the cut is incredibly forgiving, and paired with a long necklace and some fun gold sandals it perks you right up. I also scored a pair of gold ballerina flats for $15, and a matte L'oreal eye shadow quad that is now part of my everyday attire. I have been totally missing out with the matte eyeshadow - it makes such a difference!
  • Friends: awwww. I love my friends, and not just for being all mushy. SBK and RKG totally commiserated w/ me after a crappy meeting with faculty saying all the right things ("He's a dick;" "They are so sexist;" "They're wrong.") SBK bought be Thai food and shared her beef pad see ew when then chicken in my pad thai was dry. Mish is having a "The Bachelor is a Douche" party Monday night (no seriously, that was the title on the evite) so we can watch someone have a nervous breakdown. And tonight Peter is taking me out to share his favorite things about NYC with me before I leave.

No comments: