We'd never been north of LA, and the area was really beautiful. It also wasn't on fire, and that quickly became synonymous with beautiful and goodness. Those hill are really beautiful. They're also not on fire. This hotel is nice. It's also not on fire which is really nice. Other similar fire-related jokes were popular. When loading the wine into the car Paul quipped, "We might not have a house, but we'll have enough to drink so that we won't care." We then spent the night with Aunt Mary, where we were treated to a home-cooked meal and presents and got to watch House.
Returning home was a little eerie, but last night while I was scraping an unidentified gelatinous substance off the bottom shelf of the fridge, I though, "I'm really lucky to have a home." This fire has also made me incredibly grateful for all the people in our lives. In a sobering moment when we tried to picture what it would be like if the apt really burnt down, I turned to Paul and said, "It doesn't matter. We have all the important documents (Paul would have run into a burning structure to save his green card), we're out, we're safe, and we have friends and family who love us and will take care of us if we need help." It was a really good feeling. I hope the people that did lose everything can say the same.
The clean up hasn't been too bad for us, and even in all the ash and dust a little red beacon on happiness popped out at me:


Wearing an outfit from Auntie Amy, of course.
If you'd like to help out the people who weren't as fortunate, especially the kids that lost their pumpkins and Halloween costumes and toys, there are lots of ways to do so (but if you're not in CA, money is probably the best). Also, I'm usually a big cynic about corporate America, so I think it's important to highlight the good deeds that are being done by big business. Disney Land is even going to have a day just for firefighters and their families when this is over. It warms my heart, which is definitely where home is.

3 comments:
Glad you guys are home safe and sound! We can't wait to see you at Christmas!
So glad you guys are safe and sound. And tell Paul I understand the desire to run into a burning building for that damn green card - sometime I still panic when my residency card isn't in my wallet. Then I remember I don't need it anymore!
Thanks! We're glad to be home, too. And Steph the new pictures of Kayley were such a perfect surprise to come home to!
Post a Comment