Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sick station

So after a week of sniffling, sneezing and coughing my cold has metamorphosed into a sinus and ear infection. Yesterday was pretty ugly, but today the antibiotics are kicking in and I've got a good Tylenol/Advil rotation schedule going. [Paul, acting as house pharmaceutical consultant, has informed me I can alternate every 2 hrs because one's acetaminophen and the other is ibuprofen .]

When I was little and stayed home from school sick one of the first things I would do would be to grab the generic TV guide we used from the Sunday paper and map out my morning. It usually consisted of The Price is Right, followed by Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, with some Family Feud thrown in towards mid-afternoon (and possibly some Nick Jr. depending on how old I was).

While my TV viewing habits have changed - I've got Criminal Minds DVRed from last night and can watch Private Practice (which I am enjoying despite the anger I'm harboring towards Kate Walsh for leaving Grey's and that stupid car commercial she has) at abc.com - I still think it's important to set up sick command. Mine includes
  • a box of tissues
  • Tylenol sinues day/night sinus
  • water
  • tea
  • my laptop
  • the remote controls
  • lip balm
  • my favorite quilt from Target
  • the latest issue of Star

The permissible sick foods of childhood were dry toast, jello, Ritz crackers, Saltines, Stoned Wheat Thins, bananas, apple sauce, flat ginger ale and apple juice. I actually can't drink apple juice now because it reminds me so much of being sick. Now my foods are soup, cranberry juice (depending on the illness - if my taste buds are compromised it tastes gross, as does peanut butter), Annie's mac & cheese, and bagels.

What's at your sick command station?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear, I see you have left out the chocolate. Not a bar or brownie mix in sight. Nor are there any so horrible yet so good teen movies/television dramas on DVD in your lineup. Obviously we can not be sickies together.

Anonymous said...

PS But I do hope you get well soon!

AML said...

Well I've got a trash mag and did on demand both "Shooter" and "Catch & Release." No chocolate, but discovered Ben & Jerry's cinnamon bun! And doing much better, thank you:)