STUDENT!
She came to office hours yesterday. She had the audacity to not only say that she felt she was unfairly penalized for not including a works cited page on her second paper because I didn't tell her on the first one (I must have been blind by that point), and it wasn't on the prompt. Apparently in her other classes the professors tell the students they don't need citations because they know what everyone's reading. I find that hard to believe. Also, my other students all seemed to figure it out, even the freshman, and you went to an elite private school, so I'm sure they treated you like college students. Finally, you're responsible for knowing the many definitions of plagiarism. It's not just omitting quotation marks. The kicker, I thought, was when she asked me if I'd look at an outline over the weekend. It's Friday at 3 pm. The paper is due Monday at 12 pm. Shocking, I know, but even TAs have social lives and/or other shit to do.
I cannot believe I was dumb enough to think our interactions were over.
Hey Amy,(no seriously, she did the middle initial last name thing - passive aggressive much?)
There is something very important I forgot to talk to you about today. So far it seems I am struggling in the sociology RCT. Personally, I don't feel as if I struggle in the lecture or with the material, just in the first writing assignment. For the first paper, I received a 13.5/19=71. A 71 to me would mean a C. But you marked me a D on Albert as a midterm grade. On the second paper I received a 16.5/20=83. To me that would be at least a B-. I know how big of a deal "grade inflation" some TAs make so I'm very unsure of what that grade is and thus am a little concerned for my final grade. I met with my counselor for CAS and she stated how I will only receive credit for the course if I get a grade of C or above. So far in all my other classes I have a grade of B or better, which is why I find myself incredibly frustrated with sociology. I know I have asked you many times before, but since we finally got the second paper back do you mind if I could at least have a ballpark estimate of what you think my final grade will be. I'll really appreciate it and thanks for your time.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Stu. D. Ent.
Oh, Student, where to begin? To make this easier, I've itemized my response:
- You are struggling in lecture, you just don't see it. In fact, your lack of self-awareness is shocking.
- You received a 13.5/20, not 19, on the first paper. You also handed in the paper 3 days late, which didn't help your cause.
- I didn't mark you a D for the midterm. I input the numeric grades you earned, the professor assigned letter grades.
- Don't get my started on grade inflation. I'm exceedingly generous. 3/4 of your class should be failing, yourself included.
- Little late in the semester to start caring about your grades
- Go to hell.
Love,
Your TA

3 comments:
Wow, if this little lady worried half as much about writing her papers as itemising her complaints she could be the A student she so clearly believes she is! And what the hell - if you looked over the outline anyway this weekend was she then going to write the entire paper in the space of 2.5 hours on Monday morning? Or has she not learned that turning things in late is stupid? Oh my god do I admire you. I could never deal with people like this on a regular basis!
i enjoy the final point on your itemized response. this chick blows.
Thanks for the sympathy! I actually think my friends that teach in public schools have it worse. A friend was yelled at by a mother explaining the differences between a "good" teacher and a "great" teacher.
Post a Comment