Friday, December 12, 2008

week from hell

[Warning: This post is rated "Mature" for adult language.]

It's just gone 12, and I'm not sure if I'm going to stab somebody or cry, but there's a high likelihood of one of the two happening. I'm not wearing water-proof mascara, so keep me away from the sharp objects.

This week has not been the best. Tuesday I found out I didn't get my department's nomination for this teaching fellowship thing that would have given me funding for next year. Suck fest. #3 tried to cheer me up, but I asked him to not be nice or feel bad for me because my cold, black heart couldn't handle it. So I wasted 2 weeks on the application and am now back to square one for funding. Then I found out that someone whom I don't particularly care for, nor think is all that intelligent, got a grant (not the same one, and on something I don't even study, but still). She's got funding next year, and I don't. I can't even deal. I'm going to not think about it for a few days, then look into other grants, non-profit jobs, and nannying for either the Obama or Jolie-Pitt families. I wonder if I could obtain the necessary security clearance.

Wednesday I "worked from home" and, not surprisingly, got no academic work done. I went to do laundry and tripped off the curb, twisting my ankle and falling into a muddy puddle. At least the clothes were dirty already. Then I tried to make a chocolate pudding pie, but bought "cook and serve" instead of "instant" pudding mix so it turned into a soupy mess. Whatever, it's in the freezer, and you just have to eat it quickly.

I also found out Wednesday that my landlord has put our building up for sale, so I might have to move. Again. I would rather live with the mice and the fritzy wiring and the inconsistent heat and the very loud Latin music all day, all the time from the neighbors than have to move again. I'm going to leave notes on our chalkboard that say things like "call super about possible termite infestation and black mold in bathroom" for potential buyers to see when they come to look at the place.

It's also been raining like crazy all week. This type of weather is only supposed to exist in the UK and in tropical climates. Last night it was raining sideways. I was wetter than a tween's undies at a Jonas Brothers concert by the time I got home. It has been grey and cold and miserable, so now I've got seasonal depression on top of my generic, everyday, run of the mill depression.

Even shopping can't cheer me up. I just went to buy a friend's birthday gift. Broadway Panhandler is apparently run by a team of surly, incompetent Gypsies. I nearly took out someone's eye with a stainless steel apple corer.

My sister just called, however, and informed me that because of a massive ice storm her house is without heat or electricity, so Steph, Scott and K will be staying at my parents' house tonight. And I thought I was having a bad week. Good luck with that, and watch out for bats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that's all just shitty shit shit!

AML said...

Big 'ol pitty party @ my place - I'll send you an evite!