
My parents are away for the week, and it works out well because I have the house to myself to organize for a yard sale Saturday and pack for Sunday's move. The down side is that I'm here by myself, and after the whole break-in I get a little jittery sometimes.
So Sunday my parents' cat threw up in front of my room (I think she was pissed I didn't stay here Saturday night), and yesterday she pooped in the dining room (there she was just being spiteful because she was all of 10' from her litter box). I wasn't thrilled about either incident, but last night the cat was the least of my problems. I walked up to my room, hoping to get a nice early night's sleep, and there, above the linen closet that's at right angles to my bedroom door, is a big brown square. And it has a face.
There was a friggin' BAT in my house. I screamed on the inside - not wanting to disturb it - went into my room, and began panicking. Then I began doubting myself - was it really a bat? Was I over-reacting? I took a Sephora compact mirror, opened the door a hair, and stuck it out. Nope - face on brown furry thing. Bat verrified. I started calling friends, tried a neighbor, my sister & her husband - nadda. Who do I know in my town anymore? Then I remember my friend and her husband live nearby and have just returned from their honeymoon. They suggested I call the police and said they'd come over to let them in. So I called the police (the non-emergency number), and the officer didn't sound too surprised by my call or hesitate to send someone to help. Good thing this is a sleepy town - at least I gave them something to do on a Tuesday night.
Luckily my room overlooks the driveway, cause there wasn't a chance in hell I was leaving my room until the bat was out of the house. Like a lady in her tower, I opened the window and called down to my rescuers in blue. They came in, got a piece of Tupperware from the kitchen, caught it, and let it go in the driveway. When one of the officers joked like he was going to throw it at me, I screamed, jumped up and down, and whimpered incoherently that it wasn't funny. They were disappointed it was a small bat, so I hope my reaction added to their entertainment for the evening.
And so I'm beginning to think this house is cursed. At the very least, I think the universe is telling me not to live with my parents anymore.
The good news is that there was a spider in the shower this morning, and I was able to handle that one all on my own.

2 comments:
that's why Autumn did what she did - 2 times, she was trying to tell you there was a 'stranger' in the house - my cats would have caught it for you! The Wakefield police will actually come to your house to catch a bat??? I can just hear the laughter now if I called the LA cops to come get a bat out of my house.
you're giving her way too much credit. plus she was useless when the guy broke in. the cops seemed happy to have something to do!
Post a Comment