I love reading a good non-academic book, because I feel like I’m doing something intellectual without actually doing real work. I do have a tendency, however, to merge my own identity with that of the main character. My sister bought me the Bridget Jones books just before I left for England, and I basically thought I was her. I’d right things like “v. good” in my diary (and I don’t even regularly keep a journal).
At present, unfortunately, I’ve just finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. I have no idea how it took me this long to read it, but I picked it up for $0.25 at a garage sale, finished it in 2 days, and have requested Shopaholic takes Manhattan from the local library.
Last night I made Paul sit through a fashion show, and he was a surprisingly good sport about it, but I’m still feeling a need for a feminine opinion (or just people to share my shopping conquests with). A few days ago I scored this royal blue Michael Kors top from TJMaxx:

It needs a good steam, but it looks great with black trousers, a black cocktail ring, and a long gold necklace I got at my favorite San Diego boutique which, my hairdresser sadly informed me, is no longer. Just before my last haircut I happened upon a little shop by the name of For Joseph where I scooped up a multicolored print v-neck top with an empire waist and a gorgeous purple cotton tunic dress that has an attached thick fabric belt with hook & eye clasps at the waist. It screams for opaque black tights and a good pair of heels. I don’t know how this happened, but I don’t own a pair of simple, classic black heels. So I bought these little BCBG babies at Marshalls:
At present, unfortunately, I’ve just finished reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. I have no idea how it took me this long to read it, but I picked it up for $0.25 at a garage sale, finished it in 2 days, and have requested Shopaholic takes Manhattan from the local library.
Last night I made Paul sit through a fashion show, and he was a surprisingly good sport about it, but I’m still feeling a need for a feminine opinion (or just people to share my shopping conquests with). A few days ago I scored this royal blue Michael Kors top from TJMaxx:

It needs a good steam, but it looks great with black trousers, a black cocktail ring, and a long gold necklace I got at my favorite San Diego boutique which, my hairdresser sadly informed me, is no longer. Just before my last haircut I happened upon a little shop by the name of For Joseph where I scooped up a multicolored print v-neck top with an empire waist and a gorgeous purple cotton tunic dress that has an attached thick fabric belt with hook & eye clasps at the waist. It screams for opaque black tights and a good pair of heels. I don’t know how this happened, but I don’t own a pair of simple, classic black heels. So I bought these little BCBG babies at Marshalls:

I can’t decide if I should keep them. I like the quilted patent leather accents at the heel and toe. Part of me wants a more dramatic heel, but in practice I don’t have a high tolerance for foot pain and am probably better off with something more moderate. They are a little squeaky when I walk, though. This morning I picked up another pair of black patent leather, round-toed, platform heels (please don’t judge me for buying Jessica Simpson shoes) but they might be a ½ size too small.
I was counting down the days til I got to use my latest Express coupon and snagged a pair of jeans on sale (I’m sorry but I am not paying $70 for jeans from EXP – I’d rather spend an extra $50 and get real designer jeans), but the shiny editors I bought are going to have to go back.
I was counting down the days til I got to use my latest Express coupon and snagged a pair of jeans on sale (I’m sorry but I am not paying $70 for jeans from EXP – I’d rather spend an extra $50 and get real designer jeans), but the shiny editors I bought are going to have to go back.
Finally, there are these shoe, which I understand are moderately impractical, but I just don’t care. 
These shoes are a testimony to shopping karma. I saw them, thought about them, went back for them, couldn’t find them, went back again not looking for them, and there they wore. I was destined to own these shoes. I’m not sure what I can wear them with besides all black, but I might try to sneak them under a pair of jeans with a simple white top and a gray cardigan, and tie the colors together with some purple bead earrings.

These shoes are a testimony to shopping karma. I saw them, thought about them, went back for them, couldn’t find them, went back again not looking for them, and there they wore. I was destined to own these shoes. I’m not sure what I can wear them with besides all black, but I might try to sneak them under a pair of jeans with a simple white top and a gray cardigan, and tie the colors together with some purple bead earrings.

2 comments:
Love the Shopaholic series (wait'll you read the stationery spree in Manhattan) and LOVE the blue top!!
I am SO excited about these books! And the shirt, thanks!
Post a Comment