Friday, November 30, 2007

Turkey Day Redux

Sorry this is a week late, but with the move and then my first swing at cooking a holiday feast as head chef things have been a little hectic.The last 30 min of cooking were slightly harried, but the meal turned out well, and with the help of friends and family we sat down to a beautiful table:




There was a slight mishap after dinner. Unbeknownst to me, Paul put the turkey back in the oven (which was off) to keep it warm and get it out of the way. Not thinking I had to check it was empty, I set the oven to 375 to preheat for the crumble. About 20 min later something smelled waxy, but I thought it was just the cheap candles. Then I opened the oven to find the turkey on a plastic cutting board melted to the bottom oven rack. We managed to salvage both the turkey and the rack, but the cutting board didn't make it:



Hopefully the toxic fumes of didn't harm the unborn child of our friends Mark & Emily (who is 7 1/2 months pregnant). The crumble turned out fine and after 9 bottles of one and 1 bottle of champagne (9 came for dinner but only 5 of us were drinking) we had long forgotten about the cutting board. That's how I like my holidays!

No comments: