Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More good news

This morning I secured a job for the summer, and it comes with a free gym membership! I had e-mailed a woman on Craigslist a few weeks ago about babysitting this summer, and after chatting a few times it seemed to be a good fit - little Ava will be 9 months by the time I meet her, I'll watch a few kids in the morning while her mom's working out and then get to use the fitness center myself, I'm going to try and speak some French with her, and I get Friday's off!

Also, I got an e-mail from a former student. She's in Gallatin, NYU's individualized program, and as part of her graduation requirement she has to complete a colloquium and has asked me to be on her faculty panel in the fall. It's always awesome to hear from old students, and I was so flattered she asked me. Her topic is "discussing globalization in a cultural viewpoint (especially the way it is exported by way of media) and its effects on South Asian women." Very proud of her.

While I've been enjoying some real free time, it's nice to have some small bits of structure to shape the life I'll be leading back in Boston and then in New York. Knowing I have financial security and academic mentoring in my near future will (hopefully) allow me to embrace a carefree spirit for my big trip!

No comments: