Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 13: N'awlins

The South is really changing my conception of what constitutes a city, and this coming from a girl who vowed to go below the Mason-Dixon Line (vacations in FL excluded). I never thought I was a city girl, but it turns out I just need the right city. London would be great if it weren't for all the rain (and the state of the dollar). Austin was awesome, but I don't think my hair could handle the constant heat and humidity. New Orleans - all I can say is I can't wait to go back. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend to stay with, who also happens to be an artist, so I got a whirlwind car-tour of the city focusing on the architecture. I had no idea there was such a large Irish population! (pictures here)




Monday wasn't the greatest day to be in town because the museums are closed, but I breakfasted on beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde before strolling around the French Quarter. I shopped til I dropped and then had the obligatory tourist moment sitting on a balcony above Bourbon St. and sipping a hurricane.

2 comments:

Mrs. Hammond said...

oh so jealous!! Cafe du Monde...the memories. That is one of my very favorite cities and I, too, can't wait to get back there!! Mmmmm, Hurricanes!

AML said...

Maybe we can whip up a pitcher of hurricanes this summer when I invite myself to hang out with all of my sister's friends!