Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Play that funky music

Because my friends are super-awesome, we had a surprise karaoke party for 3 of us who are leaving Puck (RKG and CEB because they actually got tenure track jobs, me just because I'm trying desperately to have an adult relationship). We pulled some good songs out of the woodwork that night, so I did a small iTunes binge. Here are some recent additions to my playlists (many of these were not performed at karaoke night, but resulted from the search and download process):
  • Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
  • Ditty - Team Classick
  • Girls & Boys - Blur
  • Hey Sexy Lady - Shaggy
  • Trout - Neneh Cherry
  • What About Love - Heart
  • Alone - Heart
  • Maneater - Daryl Hall & John Oats
  • I Tough Myself - Divinyls

Heart, in fact, is a new life-changing force in my, err...life. If you haven't seen the video for "Alone", it's a must. Exploding pianos, backless dresses, half-veils, reclined-kneeling guitar solos - it's a audio-visual masterpiece. They were clearly feminist pioneers in 80's hair rock. (And Paula Abdul choreographed the video, which explains the horse's cameo).

Plugged in, I completed a solid hour of really good work today. If that doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, you don't understand the inner workings of life as a career student.

No comments: