Wednesday, January 24, 2007


Being mentally exhausted from yesterday's, I thought I'd blog about something light and fun that doesn't require a lot of thinking. [Seriously, try and think of 6 weird things about yourself - it's not easy.] I'm all jazzed up on dextrose right now because I just polished off a bag of Haribo Frogs. That was an easy way to wipe out those 25 min on the treadmill this morning! I've had a serious craving for candy lately, so I thought I'd pay tribute to some of my favorites.



  • Swedish Fish - sure, the red gelatinous coating on your teeth probably isn't recommended by the ADA, but they are delicious! I like the big ones that you can really bite into. Shockingly, the Swedish people I've met, while clearly neither a random nor representative sample of the Swedish population as a whole, had never heard of them.

  • Gummi peaches - yum!

  • Gummy bears, but only Amazing Fruit. This writer has really captured their essence.

  • Peppermint spears - eat sparingly, you can overdue it really easily

  • Chuckles - I loved these as a kid, and I like to pick up a pack every now and then. (I really need to watch my candy intake considering I don't have dental insurance.) The order in which I eat them is Yellow, Orange, Green, Black, Red.

  • Twizzlers - you're walking a fine line when you tackle these red licorice twists. Makes mouth happy? Of course. Tummies, on the other hand, not so much.

Chocolate candy I'm less interested in at the moment, but I'll just give a shout-out to Twix (I of course instantly start singing the theme song from The Secret of My Succe$s with Michael J. Fox - "mmm boump boump, mm chicka chickahhh"), KitKat (although Nestle's business practices are heinous) and Peanut M&M (infinitely superior to their Plain brethren) because they really are men among boys when it comes to candy bars. York Peppermint Patties also have a special place in my heart for being a low fat food and so refreshingly minty. I like to enjoy them with cold water, inhaling deeply through my mouth to really enhance the mint-tastic experience.

And as a nod to my global compatriots, I'd have to say that Kinder Bueno is probably my favorite foreign candy discovery, followed closely by Chomps (a thing flat sick of caramel, coated in chocolate) which, last time I was in the UK, were still only 15p.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chomps are called something ridiculously heinous in these parts, something like "Cow's tales" though obviously changed to "Cow's poos" by the little ones. I still can't eat one, but I'm with you on the Haribo sweets and gummy peaches!