Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Like a Bay Leaf in a Melting Pot


I wanted to blog about the thief who stole my 100 calorie Jell-O pudding snack from the department refrigerator yesterday (I'll find out who you are, don't worry), I had a whole tirade mentally scripted, but something more "interesting" has come up.

Tomorrow the NYU College Republicans are holding a "Find the Illegal Immigrant" rally outside the main academic building. Yup, that's right. I shit you not. You can't make this stuff off (although who would want to? probably the same person who stole the creamy chocolatey goodness that would have been my late afternoon snack yesterday). If you don't believe me, you can see for yourself.

From what I understand, my only source being the rumors and side-conversations being held around the office, these little GOPers in training are going to stand around and try and point out illegal immigrants in the crowd. Besides being retarded, this activity seems to have some methodological flaws. There are a lot of foreign nationals in the NYU community - students, faculty, staff. How do you tell who's legal and illegal? Are you going to ask to see their papers? And will we be identifying all potential aliens, or just those of the "South of the Rio Grande/ East of the Mediterranean" variety? Empirically, there are boatloads of illegal Irish, and I'm sure a handful of Canadians have snuck in over the years, but somehow I get the feeling that's not whom the Young Republicans intend to finger. They need to give a much clear operational definition of "illegal immigrants." Also, the sampling couldn't be worse. You want to spot illegal aliens in one of the 5 New York boroughs, the Village isn't exactly a hot spot for undocumented workers. Try Sunnyside, Queens, or Jersey City, Jersey. Try mid-town at lunchtime - go on, snatch a delivery guy right off his bike and demand to know his visa status!

Anyone in the NYU vicinity interested in joining the opposition from 11-2 can gather outside the Silver Center. Wear a white shirt as a symbol of peaceful protest.
You'll spot me wearing an "I'm an illegal immigrant" tee.
UPDATE: Got some more info. Apparently they're not going to point out real illegal immigrants. They're going to have a person wear a name-tag that says "Illegal Immigrant." The other participants have to find that person and show their NYU ID card (symbolic of INS identification, obviously) before they can search him/her. The person who wins gets a gift certificate. See, it's all just fun and games! Wow, do I feel like an oversensitive tree-hugging sissy-pants Liberal or what?!? It's as harmless as the Affirmative-Action bake sale they held 2 years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow this reminds me of the virtue police in Iran...
Utterly despicable. Perhaps they should try studying instead.