Saturday, February 17, 2007

Moral Dilemas

SBK and I scheduled a hot date last night - she wanted my feng shui consulting know-how on her new room. She had an apt to go to, so we planned to meet by the subway. Then we'd travel uptown, see what genius insight I could offer about rearranging her bedroom, order in, and watch movies. I stopped home first to pick up a wrench and drop off shtuff, and there, beckoning to me from the corner of my dresser, was the Kit-Kat I'd purchased the day before but hadn't gotten around to (what with the cheeseburger, sweet potatoes fries, beer and ice cream, there really wasn't time).

I devoured all four sections en route to the designated meeting place. I was racked with guilt. If I had held off all of 15 min I could have shared with my friend. Should I tell her? Approaching the rendez-vous destination I was seized with anxiety as the two halves of my conscience debated furiously:


  • Confess - you gluttonous sow!

  • She'll never know, and your hips pay the full price - when it comes down to it, your rapid ingestion was downright altruistic!

And they were both right! I had done something bad, but my friend in blissful ignorance of the fact that minutes ago a delicious chocolaty wafery treat had existed in my possession. What to do?!?

Conclusion: Consumption was selfish, but telling would be cruel.

If only all sins were this yummy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously you need to think "What would Tim do?" Answer: He'd never worry about his hips. ;)

AML said...

I go with the "Romano line of reasoning" and ask myself, "Would anything good come of me telling?" I find the answer is usually "no". It's good practice for me to keep my mouth shut.

Anonymous said...

That's even better. I have to start thinking like that.